Sunday, December 31, 2023

30 New Year's resolutions and how to keep them

 New Year's resolutions are those personal objectives that we set for ourselves when we cross the December goal, but do they exist? Are there any known real cases of people who comply with them?

The fact is that, feasible or not, they provide extra motivation to start the year even if they are not fulfilled. That doesn't matter, the important thing is to have them. Whoever doesn't have them doesn't know the satisfaction of seeing them fulfilled during the following year, or doesn't enjoy the frustration laughing with family or friends remembering those of the current year, just a few hours before the end of the time to fulfill them.

To the “go to the gym”, “quit smoking” or “learn English” many more can be added in case you fail in the mission of fulfilling any of the three. Well, the truth is that these are complicated.


Original New Year's resolutions

So that you don't break down, here we give you ideas in the form of resolutions. Let's see if you at least turn 7!

  • Start saving for the trip of my dreams.
  • Do more sports.
  • Read more books.
  • Write a blog.
  • Meet friends more often.
  • Say “I love you” more times.
  • Drink less alcohol.
  • Use your cell phone less.
  • Face problems.
  • Say “no” more often.
  • Be less selfish.
  • Stop taking things personally.
  • Stop depending on my parents.
  • Practice meditation.
  • Spend less money on things I don't need.
  • Go out more on the weekend.
  • Don't look for excuses.
  • Be more disciplined for the things I set my mind to.
  • Don't envy what my neighbor has.
  • Get out of my comfort zone.
  • Ask my grandmother for her recipes.
  • Appreciate more what I have.
  • Be a better example for my children.
  • Smile more and complain less.
  • Call my parents more on the phone.
  • Have the courage to fail.
  • Be a little more optimistic.
  • Give up smoking.
  • Stop making good resolutions that I am not going to fulfill.
  • Give something from Hofmann for Christmas and Epiphany.

New Year's resolutions… Better in writing!

At Mom Has a Plan they have discovered the perfect method so you can say "I know how to keep all my New Year's resolutions." Don't worry, it doesn't require doing meditation at dawn or getting up before everyone at home, it's much simpler than that. They explain it to you here:

How to fulfill my New Year's resolutions without dying trying

Every year, around this time, I begin to mentally review the year just ended, the things I liked and the things I didn't like, the things that could be improved... and I reimagine what my life would be like with a few small improvements.

January: Enjoy my family more and do it 100%

No more spending time with the children looking askance at the emails that arrive in the inbox. No more taking advantage of grandparents coming to visit to iron “and taking off a couple of washing machines.” I am going to enjoy them, all of them, with all 5 senses.

February: Play more

There is a song from the play “The Girl Who Lived in a Shoe Box”, music composed by Antoni Tolmos (highly recommended, play and soundtrack) that says something like “Take advantage and play more, when you grow up You will forget.” So, starting in February, I'm going to play with my kids much, much more. 

March: Make it clear to my people who is the priority

I'm going to start bending down to look the little ones in the face when I talk to them, to prepare a surprise from time to time, I'm going to get the children to dress themselves, giving them more time to do it 💪

April: Be punctual

I'm really going to make a point and with all my might to be more punctual, which means, I've finally accepted it, that I'll have to stop doing some things because you can't do everything. This has been my great purpose for several years. It is my “quit smoking”. I will achieve it?

May: Set priorities

I propose to separate things between priority, urgent, important and act accordingly. No regrets. The first is the first.

June: organize photos and videos and make copies for grandparents

It will be good for me to give space to my phone's memory for the end-of-year performances, and avoid the moment when the camcorder pops up a nice “memory full” in the middle of the song. Horror! 

July: Take out the “good” camera to take really cool photos

That the mobile phone is very practical, but the result is not always the best and we all like to have cool photos, right? 📸

August: teach my children to swim like I learned… in the sea!

Without the rush, the smell of chlorine and the heat of an indoor pool that, from my point of view, takes away all the fun.

September: Stop blaming lack of time for all my ills

I'm not going to magically multiply the hours of the days, so... we will have to organize ourselves differently (and reinforce the April and May resolutions). September is a great month to do this with back to school, don't you think?

October: Travel more

Incorporate weekend getaways, especially of a rural nature, into your routine, simplifying packing and preparations to simply go out and enjoy. In total, a weekend is just a day and a half. You don't need almost anything, just the desire to see new things. Spain has so much to explore… I don't want to continue missing out. Without ruling out, of course, international departures 🌍

November: Have a treat with the grandparents from time to time

They are a key, fundamental, very important piece. They are the ones who give without asking for anything, without receiving anything more than snotty kisses... And they deserve more attention, more moments of leisure with the children and more prominence. 

December: learn how to make almond soup

I have never eaten it on Christmas Eve and last time I got caught by the bull. This year, get ready for something more traditional from the first of the month 🙌

How are you? How do you see the end of year resolutions? Affordable? Choose the ones you like the most and add your personal ones so that, after the next 365 days, you will have completed the ones that are most important to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment